Cleaning Supplies Tips
Benefits of Cleaning with Microfiber
Also referred to in the singular, microfibers are extremely tiny wedge-shaped fibers designed to better trap dirt, dust, and grime when house cleaning. Whether you’re using this technology in a towel or on a mop, microfiber helps clean surfaces in an efficient way.
• Use fewer chemicals – Flying Prince advises that cleaning with cloth composed of microfiber alone can actually be more effective than using a traditional cloth. Microfiber can eliminate up to 99 percent of bacteria on some surfaces. Try using a microfiber cloth without any chemical product applied when dealing with oil and grease to see how much it can absorb. Microfiber products are also good to use in between our visits.
• Kiss streaks goodbye – Microfiber, which is composed mostly of polyester instead of cotton, leaves little residue when cleaning any surface. When purchasing a microfiber product to clean glass, be sure to select one with a smooth texture.
• Clean floors better – A house cleaning service like Flying Prince knows that effective, safe cleaning between visits from their residential house cleaners is important. Microfiber mops can keep hardwood or vinyl floors from collecting too much dirt and grime, while textured microfiber cloths are great for cleaning counter tops. Getting a streak-free window will also be much easier while using smooth microfiber cloth.
When a trusted house cleaning service like Flying Prince uses microfiber in their professional cleaning process, it’s safe to say that it could be a benefit for anyone’s home. Get a free, no-obligation quote for Flying Prince’s cleaning services today.
Benefits of Cleaning with Vinegar
Vinegar has long been a fixture in cooking, but is also shows value for green home cleaning when used properly. Flying Prince will use a vinegar based product in your home only upon request. However, we advise vinegar use only in certain situations.
• Use fewer chemicals – Vinegar best meets the house cleaning tasks of cleaning floors, mirrors, and glass. Vinegar can be made from anything with sugar (most commonly fruit) and gets its cleaning power from high acidity levels.
• Great at polishing – Vinegar can be most beneficial when polishing surfaces like stainless steel and countertops, and doesn’t require a wipe down after application. It can also be beneficial on some floors, and is a universal odor reducer on almost every surface
• Don’t forget to dilute – The important thing to remember with vinegar is to make sure it’s diluted enough for safe use. If not properly watered down, vinegar can cause expensive damage to natural surfaces such as stone and marble. It can also have a detrimental effect on hardwood floors, often times dulling the finish on the wood. Vinegar could be one of the most versatile and cost-effective tools available for those looking for green cleaning alternatives, offering a very long shelf life for little money.
Tips on Using Fewer Cleaning Products
When it comes to cleaning your home, using fewer, quality house cleaning products makes more sense financially and environmentally than buying one product for each cleaning task in your home.
• Microfiber saves time – Reduce the number of cleaning cloths you use, including disposable ones, by investing in microfiber products. Microfiber's ability to trap dirt, dust, and grime makes it a much better choice than an ordinary cloth, which simply pushes dirt around.
• Use all-in-one cleaners – Using versatile cleaning products such as vinegar for specific cleaning tasks, like cleaning countertops, floors, and appliances can save both time and money.
• Buy a bucket – Another great way to streamline the number of cleaning products you use is to buy a bucket to store them in. That way, when you clean around your home, everything you need is at your fingertips. Everything you need to clean your home should fit in a single bucket.
Streamlining the cleaning products you use in your home in between visits from Flying Prince’s professional house cleaning services is one of the most effective ways to save both time and money. Sometimes less really is more. If you are not a current Flying Prince customer, request a quote from us.
Areas Of The House
How Do You Unclog Shower Heads?
It's a common bathroom cleaning issue – a low-flow shower head that isn't designed to be low-flow. Fortunately, unclogging a shower head is easy with our professional cleaning tips. Simply remove the shower head, and place it into a mixture of vinegar and hot water. This will loosen the calcium and other materials clogging the mechanism and allow you to experience a full force flow once again!
Professional Bathroom Cleaning Tips
Flying Prince has years of experience cleaning bathrooms of all types and sizes. Over that time, we've accumulated a lot of wisdom about how to properly clean this area of your home. Some suggestions:
1. Keep a small vacuum near the bathroom and give the floor and any carpets a quick once over every day.
2. Use a small squeegee after your morning shower to slow the development of water marks.
3. Keep some potpourri, or a fresh candle, in the bathroom for a good scent.
4. A simple nylon netting over the drain in the shower or tub can significantly reduce hair clogs.
These are just some of the tips we have for keeping a bathroom clean. Our years of professional cleaning have taught us a lot more, and the best way to maintain a bathroom is to clean it consistently. Since you have better things to do, contact Flying Prince today!
How Do I De-Clutter My Home?
Sometimes your house isn't dirty so much as it's cluttered. Objects that you don't need, don't use or simply don't know what to do with can quickly accumulate and overtake your home. Even when they are cleaned, you may not get that sense of satisfaction you desire. We have some tips on how to de-clutter your home and regain your space:
1. Consider whether you truly need an item. If you don't know when you last used it, or when you might use it again, consider tossing it out or donating it. Remember – if it looks like junk, feels like junk, and nobody knows what to do with it, it's junk.
2. Make sure whenever you are done with an object, you put it away. Make sure that your family follows this rule as well. One particularly effective method of de-cluttering your life is simply putting away objects left out by others. If they ask the location of the object, tell them that if they didn't pick it up, it's gone. Usually this will only take a couple reminders to start some new habits.
Living Room Cleaning Tips
1. Start by dusting your living room. Work around the room in a systematic circle and dust every surface possible. From there, you can move on to cleaning the surfaces.
2. Remember to rotate sofa cushions often to encourage even wear and increase their useful life.
3. Always save the vacuum for last. This ensures that you'll suck up all the debris that's been shifted onto the floor during the cleaning process. Newer vacuums should not be pushing dust back into the air, either. If yours has this problem, consider investing in a new one or changing the filters and bags.
The key to a clean home is cleaning it consistently. Use these tips for in-between cleaning visits, since you have better things to do.
How Do You Get Children Involved in Cleaning Their Room?
If your children enjoy helping you clean their room, it can make the bedroom cleaning process much more enjoyable. The residential house cleaning experts here at Flying Prince have some tips to help you encourage your children to help out with cleaning chores.
Paying an allowance can work for some children, but there are other ways to encourage their cooperation as well. For instance, create brightly colored personal cleaning kits for each child. They will enjoy the feeling of responsibility from having their own cleaning kits.
You can also ask children for their input on furniture arrangement in the room. When you move the furniture, have them help deep clean the items in the room. They will be personally invested since they helped design the room, and maybe even eager to help you!
Along those lines, using their ideas when decorating their room may help them feel more comfortable and responsible for the appearance. If they truly enjoy their space, they will want to help keep it clean.
Finally, work bedroom cleaning into your daily routine. Remind them, every night, to pick up and straighten their room. Eventually it will become a habit.
How to Clean
How Do I Remove Red Wine from Carpet?
Spilling some tasty red wine on your carpet can put a damper on a relaxing evening. But we say don't fret – it's easier to clean red wine spills than you think!
First, it's important to act quickly. Don't let the stain set for long before you spring into cleaning mode. A little bit of salt on the stain will help prevent the stain from setting into the carpet and prevent larger problems.
You have a few options for removing the stain – white wine, club soda, and commercial carpet cleaner products are the most popular. Simply pour your cleaning solution of choice onto the stain, and then gently blot up as much wine as possible. Remember – rubbing will force the stain into the carpet and make cleanup more difficult.
How to Clean Floors
Flying Prince’s professional house cleaners also have some other handy tips for cleaning ceramic tile and vinyl floors:
1. Frequent cleaning makes cleaning easier – especially with floors! Don't let your floor turn into a "project."
2. When mopping, start at the furthest corner of the room and then move back towards the entrance.
3. If you have a glossy surface on your floor, use a clean cloth wrapped around the end of the squeezed-out mop to avoid streaks.
4. Damp mop only after loose dirt and debris has been thoroughly removed with a broom, vacuum, or dust mop.
5. Use a combination of warm water and all-purpose cleaner (follow manufacturer instructions for exact amounts) to mop ceramic tile and vinyl floors effectively.
What's The Best Way To Wax Wood Floors?
Waxing your hardwood floor can improve the appearance of the floor when deep cleans or buffing treatments don't work.
First, you'll need to ensure the floor is prepared by sweeping or vacuuming up any debris. Just like your car, you don't want to wax dirt and grime onto the surface. Do a thorough deep clean of the wood floor before you begin waxing.
Once the floor is dry, it's time to wax. Spread the wax in an even, thin layer across the floor. Let this dry for the amount of time (usually 30 minutes) specified by your brand of wax.
You'll want to apply another coat of wax once the first has dried. Use your judgment if further coats are necessary at this point. Most hardwood floors will only need to be waxed twice a year. But as a residential cleaning company, we know over-waxing a floor can lead to dark buildup. Call your local floor refinisher for even more tips and advice.
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Caring for wood furniture will pay off. This durable furniture will last for years when it receives proper care. Luckily, caring for wood furniture is a fairly simple process.
As with anything else in your home, dust wood furniture regularly. At least once a week, make a dusting pass to ensure that wood furniture is free of debris and dirt. Like your floors, wax can be an essential tool to help protect your furniture. There are many commercial wood furniture waxes available on the market to help you. When polishing wood furniture, keep these tips in mind:
1. Use a soft cotton cloth.
2. Put cleaner on cloth and apply to furniture.
3. Work in small circular motions, following the wood grain.
How Do I Prevent Windows From Steaming In Winter?
Preventing fog and steam is simple – just add a small amount of glycerin, or wash with soap and water, and watch your troubles disappear! You can also ensure that all outside ventilation sources in your home are open and flowing, so that moist air can exit.
Streak Free Window Cleaning
Streaks on a freshly cleaned window can be incredibly frustrating. Nobody wants to see their hard cleaning work obscured by an unsightly streak! Fortunately, we're here to help you prevent those streaks, for a see-through shine.
Wash your glass areas with vertical strokes on one side and horizontal strokes on the other. This will allow you to quickly identify which side of the glass surface the streak is on. Then you can return to the window once the streaks have arrived, and easily dispatch them. This will save you plenty of time identifying where those streaks are!
Using a newspaper to wipe your windows is also a great way to prevent streaking. Newspapers won't leave behind the same residue and film that paper towels do. Using a small amount of cleaner also helps prevent streaking. If you use more product than necessary, streaks will be left behind.
Furniture Cleaning Tips
Keep your furniture clean with regular dusting and vacuuming. This task should be performed at least every other week and perhaps weekly if your furniture is used often. When you need to wax or clean your furniture, keep these tips in mind:
1. Follow the manufacturer's instructions precisely.
2. Put wax or cleaner directly on the cloth and work in small areas.
3. Complete the task by giving the furniture one last wipe, in direction of the grain.
Furniture is expensive and requires extra attention from time to time. When your furniture needs more than a regular vacuuming, we recommend professional furniture cleaning. You can trust Flying Prince to clean your furniture, and your home, the way you would if you had the time. Our professional house cleaners not only use quality products, they care about your home.
What is the Most Effective Way to Remove Pet Stains?
Removing pet stains is a necessity for anyone with a beloved animal in their home. They bring us company and joy, but they can also bring us special presents. Cleaning up after your pet doesn't have to be a chore that drives you apart! We have some handy tips for removing pet stains and keeping a clean home:
1. To remove pet stains, try prevention. A soil retardant applied before the accident can be a big help.
2. To remove a tough stain, put undiluted soda water directly on the stain and then blot the area with a dry white towel. Repeat until the majority of moisture is absorbed. Then, place a fresh towel on the area and place a heavy object over the towel to soak up the remaining moisture.
3. Eliminate the odor by eliminating the source. Aerosol fresheners don't eliminate odors – they simply mask it. Remove the source of the odor by washing the area with a disinfectant cleaning solution, rinsing and drying.
4. If you can't remove the stain and odor with these methods, contact a professional. We will be more than happy to consult with you on how best to remove the offender.
Other Residential Pet Cleaning Tips
Pets leave all sorts of hair and debris around the house. Cleaning up after them is easy if you stay on top of the situation. Use a vacuum, with a furniture attachment, to make regular sweeps over the home and pick up hair.
If you are in a quick hurry, you can also use a rubber glove or a dampened cloth to pick up pet hair. The hair will cling to either of these.
How to Win the Battle against the Laundry Pile
Laundry is something everyone has to do, and Flying Prince knows it’s all about organization and planning.
• Sort those clothes – One of the most important ways to minimize time spent on laundry is by sorting. Keeping darks, lights, towels, and delicates separate before getting ready to plop them into the washing machine is an invaluable time saver. This can be done by purchasing separate laundry baskets for each group or buying a laundry sorter. Also be sure to check tags to see if something is washing-machine friendly, and keep those clothes separate from all others.
• Make a family schedule – Keep a detailed schedule of when laundry is to be done. For some households, laundry has to happen every day. This way everyone in the household knows what he/she is responsible for and on what days they are expected to do it. This is a great way to get children involved in the laundry process while creating positive home cleaning habits for years to come.
• Build a family closet – Putting in laundry is the easy part. It's the folding and putting away afterwards that takes the most time. To avoid wrinkles, always fold clothes out the dryer and to avoid multiple stops to different closets, consider a family closet. Whether you have a walk-in closet, a spare bedroom or a section of a room, consider putting in shelves and cubbies for each family member. Some households still use the master bedroom closet for their belongings and only use the family closet for their children's clothes.
Top Five Home Cleaning Tips from the Experts
Follow these five easy tips to improve your house cleaning approach.
1. Have a plan – The more detailed the house cleaning plan, the less time people spend tidying up their home. It’s best for everyone in any household to know what chores are on his/her schedule. This will help balance the family cleaning workload and keep everyone organized.
2. Know what’s causing your cleaning problems – It’s important to remember to take shoes and coats off at the door, which will in turn cause less continuous sweeping and mopping between Flying Prince visits. Changing sheets and dusting often can also reduce allergy problems in the home.
3. Stay within reach – If there are basic cleaning supplies on every floor or near every room in a house, people are much more likely to do preventative home cleaning. This will also drastically cut down on time spent gathering supplies between our visits.
4. Sometimes less really can be more – People spend hundreds of dollars every year on cleaning supplies, but oftentimes fewer products can be better. Flying Prince recommends using technology like microfiber, which can eliminate the need for chemical cleaners in some cases.
5. Don’t forget the fridge – The refrigerator can be one of the places that require the most cleaning in any home, but it can also be overlooked. Be sure to clean underneath, behind, on top as well as inside. Dirt and dust often time get trapped underneath, while the inside can be a prime target for mold and mildew.
Holiday Cleaning Tips from the Housekeeping Service Professionals
The holidays are some of the best times of the year. With these quick tips from Flying Prince, cleaning for the holidays can go off without a hitch.
• Set priorities – With all the extra holiday fun buzzing through your home this holiday season, you'll need to prioritize. If you have loved ones over at your home, try focusing on the areas they will be spending time in first such as the guest bedroom(s), dining room, and living room. Time can be your most valuable resource during the busy holiday season, and we are here to help you manage your time even better.
• Get the family involved – Once a time-saving plan is in place, Flying Prince suggests enlisting the whole family to lend a hand in the cleaning process. If the whole family can put on some favorite holiday tunes and do the house cleaning together this holiday season, cleaning will be more fun and most important, go by faster.
• Clean first, decorate second – Another great time saver when it comes to home cleaning this holiday season is to do the cleaning before taking out the decorations. It’s much easier to clean a home when you don’t have to clean around your favorite holiday decorations.
If someone in your life could use a professional housekeeping service this holiday season, refer them to Flying Prince.
How to Prevent Mold and Mildew
Flying Prince is here to help you create a safe, clean home with these tips on preventing mold and mildew.
• Bathrooms can be one of the places where mold and mildew is most likely to start growing due to the high moisture level and warm temperatures. One way to beat the buildup before it starts is to keep your bathroom(s) as well lit as possible, since both of these fungi prefer dark places to grow. If you have windows, keep the curtains open when possible.
• Using non-ammonia based cleaners and wiping down the shower walls after use can drastically cut down on the amount of mold and mildew seen in the shower and tub.
• Clean out the fridge on occasion and wipe out all the moisture built up on the walls. If the refrigerator has too much moisture in it for too long, mold and mildew are much more likely to thrive.
• To prevent mildew smell, place a dryer sheet in boxes you plan to store for a while. You can also use a dryer sheet inside shoes or gloves to help promote a fresh scent.
Reduce Allergens with these Simple House Cleaning Pointers
Most common household allergies are at least partially relieved with proper house cleaning. Flying Prince is here to help you breathe a little easier and sneeze a little less.
• Dust mites – One of the most common household allergens are dust mites, the tiny bugs that are most commonly found in pillows and mattresses. In order to minimize the harmful effects they can have on allergies, it’s important to change bedding regularly, as well as vacuuming out mattresses as much as possible. This will help get those dust mites living deep inside your bed. When dusting, make sure you use a damp cloth to better capture dust mites. Allergy covers on pillows and mattresses can also help stop dust mites from causing problems.
• Pollen – Everybody knows pollen is another leading cause of allergic reactions. Since pollen affects people by traveling through the air, make sure to keep windows and doors closed in the spring and summer months, stopping it from getting inside in the first place. Replacing air conditioner filters in the home frequently can also stop pollen from circulating once it’s inside the home.
• Pet dander – Pet dander from animals can also be a trigger of allergies in homes. Keeping animals outside for those who are allergic to cats and dogs will help this allergy dramatically.
Cleaning Home Offices
According to recent research, the average desk may contain around 10 million different types of germs and bacteria. To greatly reduce that number, follow these tips from Flying Prince on how to keep your home office clean between visits from our house cleaners.
• Keep the clutter down on the desk – With proper filing cabinets and organizational storage, papers won’t build up on your desk so it will be easier to dust and sanitize. The less clutter on a desk in the home, the less time someone needs to spend organizing before cleaning. When it's time to dust, use a microfiber cloth to trap dust and grime.
• Try to keep food away from your workspace – If you can help it, try to avoid eating at your home desk. Often times a desk is covered in far more bacteria than you might think and adding food to the area can help more grow. If you avoid eating at your desk, you won’t have to change the garbage in this space nearly as much, and can eliminate the presence of odors from your wastebasket.
• Use a disinfectant – When cleaning your home office, you want to use a disinfectant. Clean under the mouse pad, top of your keyboard, and especially, your office phone. Also be sure to get the dirt, hair, and food particles out from inside your keyboard (there’s probably more in there than you think) by holding it upside down and shaking it then using canned air to remove the rest. Our house cleaners typically stay away from these areas due to privacy concerns.
• Be safe around electronics – Flying Prince knows that being careful around electronics is crucial when cleaning your home. Essentials, such as home computers, can be easily damaged by using home cleaners that contain any moisture. By using a microfiber cloth on your computer monitor and other computing components, you won't need to use a liquid cleanser.
At Flying Prince, we understand the importance of safety during cleaning. From the obvious hazards, such as wet floors, to the not so obvious, such as mixing ammonia and bleach, Flying Prince adheres to a strict safety regimen during each house cleaning service.
When cleaning in between Flying Prince’s visits, it's good practice to follow these cleaning safety tips:
• Reduce slips and falls by placing anti-slip strips on rugs
• Wear rubber gloves to avoid contact with chemicals
• Do not mix chemicals for any reason
• Secure cleaning products away from the reach of children and pets
• Always dilute concentrated cleaning products before use
• Ventilate rooms before you clean
• Always read the instructions before use
• Change out dishcloths often to reduce bacteria and mildew
• Avoid tripping by never leaving loose items, like toys, on steps
If you have any questions about the cleaning products Flying Prince uses in your home, be sure to ask. Our goal is to provide quality house cleaning services that help reduce the amount of germs and allergens in your home.
House Cleaning Advice for Your Kitchen
Maintain a clean kitchen by creating a consistent schedule and by using house cleaning services from Flying Prince. Use the following timetable to get started:
- Daily: Every day wipe surfaces, do dishes, put dishes away and sweep the floor.
- Weekly: On a weekly basis, the daily tasks should be combined with a mopping of the kitchen floor.
- Monthly: You should ensure that all cabinets, pantries and your refrigerator are cleared of unnecessary or outdated foodstuffs and miscellaneous items that are no longer needed, maintaining the order of your cold and room temperature storage areas.
- Yearly: Once per year (at least) you should deep clean your kitchen space. This means that your cleaning should reach to the back of every cabinet and pantry, extend to a dismantled refrigerator interior (for separate washing of each surface), reach under that refrigerator and stove, the ceiling, light fixtures, etc. Basically, this yearly cleaning should be as deep as possible. This form of maintenance is especially important for this space, where perishable food items are handled every day.
Regular, every day maintenance helps your kitchen stay clean. For weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and special one-time cleanings, contact Flying Prince today. Our house cleaning services are designed to give you time and peace of mind.
Bathroom Cleaning Schedule
When you speak with a professional from Flying Prince, we take note of your wants, needs and budget, from which we develop a custom cleaning plan. No matter which rooms are included as part of your Flying Prince cleaning service , our goal is to provide a quality cleaning that makes your entire home feel better. Keep your home maintained in between Flying Prince’s visits by implementing a consistent cleaning schedule, like this one for a bathroom:
- Daily: After each shower, use a small squeegee to help prevent water marks on the walls. Also keep a small hand held vacuum to use on the floors each day.
- Weekly: Once per week, combine the above duties with a thorough cleaning of the shower/tub, toilet and surfaces. Mop the floor weekly as well.
- Monthly: Once per month, be sure to organize all of your cabinets and closets within your bathroom spaces. This helps maintain an easy order within these storage spaces.
- Yearly: With regular maintenance, a bathroom should not require a deep, yearly clean. Items to clean occasionally include taking down blinds and giving them a soak in all-purpose cleaner and washing your plastic shower curtain in cold water.
Keeping your Living Room Clean between Professional Visits
More than any other part of your home, your living spaces are the most often utilized during times of rest, relaxation and socialization. Maintaining these areas helps keep them comfortable and safe. Plus, no matter what surprise visitor shows up at your door, you will feel completely comfortable inviting them inside.
At Flying Prince, we follow a house cleaning routine that ensures that all of your spaces are as clean as possible. For your personal cleaning needs, we suggest following this simple house cleaning schedule:
- Daily: On a daily basis, collect any toys, newspapers, etc. that have accumulated over the course of the day and put them in a pile in the middle of the room. One by one, put them where they belong.
- Weekly: On one day per week, dust around the room – working left to right and top to bottom. After dusting, it is also a good time to vacuum your furniture, removing and rotating any cushions.
- Monthly: Move your furniture and vacuum beneath it. Wash your windows as well (weather permitting, i.e. above 50 degrees). You should also clean your furniture as necessary.
- Yearly: On a yearly basis, you should evaluate your living room, taking care to de-clutter and dusting anything that is hard to reach (i.e. ceiling fan) using a ladder as necessary.
Following these simple tasks will guarantee that your living spaces are always up to par when company arrives.
Family Cleaning Schedule
At Flying Prince, we’ve been ensuring clean homes and decreased stress levels for years. We have seen customers overworked by their house cleaning load be set free by the simple act of handing someone else that responsibility.
One of the most common situations that we run into with these homes is the fact that much of the cleaning load falls upon one person, no matter how many people live in the home. Without help, that load can be too much to bear. We suggest that you establish a family cleaning schedule using the following tips:
- Make meals a family affair. Have one person set the table and following the meal, another should clear the dishes and load them in the dishwasher.
- Create individual cleaning buckets that make it easy to clean rooms on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Review Flying Prince's professional cleaning tips and show each person how to maintain their assigned space.
- Become our FAN on Facebook to read tips from Flying Prince and your fellow customers.
Spend time the way you want to and contact Flying for professional house cleaning services. Hiring a professional residential house cleaner not only reduces your day to day home cleaning duties, it reduces stress!!